During these last few months with the colder weather I’ve been loving warming up with hearty soups. I’ve always loved pea and ham (my Nan & Mum always made it in winter) but lately I’ve been loving lentil & spinach soup from Whole Foods. Freshly made with no preservatives it’s whole food that has that ‘homemade’ feel to it.
So with that homemade feel in mind I want to make some Lentil & Spinach soup of my own & have found a really great recipe:
Lentil & Spinach Soup
- 5oz (141 gms) packets Organic Spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped Onions
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped Carrots
- 1/4 cup Lentils
- 4-6 cups Organic Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 teaspoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 sprig Fresh Italian Parsley
- Sauté chopped onions & minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil.
- Add chopped carrots; let the carrot cook for few minutes.
- Add lentils & sauté some more.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add tomato paste & stir well. Add sumac, paprika, salt & pepper.
- Let the soup simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Serve hot with freshly squeezed lemon juice & chopped fresh parsley!
* Recipe adapted from fOOD 52