I love butternut squash, I mean I reeeealy love it & when it’s roasted, lordy lord it’s good! So this recipe had me from the very beginning and didn’t disappoint. The dressing is a winner too and the whole dish is so easy to make – I know I’ll be making this again!
For the salad
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 to 2 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked chickpeas, or a 15-oz. can, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
For the dressing
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced with a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp well-stirred tahini
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 218C.
- In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, garlic, allspice, olive oil, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss the squash until evenly coated. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and lemon juice. Add the tahini and whisk to blend. Add the water and olive oil, whisk well, and taste for seasoning. The sauce should have plenty of nutty tahini flavor but also a kick of lemon. You may need to add more water to thin it out.
- To assemble the salad, combine the squash, chickpeas, onion, and cilantro or parsley in a large bowl. Toss with about half the dressing, then add more to taste or serve the rest of the dressing on the side. Serve immediately.